Old 31-03-2007, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Natural Insect Repellants

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:24:07 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

Not true. Marigolds attract spider mites.

I have never ever ever ever seen a spider mite on a marigold. Ever. I
say this in a seriousness.

Spider mites are microscopic. They cover from top to bottom any
marigold I've ever planted. They are used in farming as catch crops
to draw the attention of spider mites. I say this in all factualness
(not a real word I don't think)

shrug Who knows? I have not yet the ability to remember the source of
everything I have seen and heard and read and watched. I'm working on it
tho'. I hope to master it before I die.

If you don't remember where you heard something why would you pass it
on as fact? One thing I'm learning is to not advise based on my own
BS, but to advise based on the facts. I believe your heart was in the
right place, but I do not think you gave good information regarding
this subject.

The way farmers do it in organic method farming is to plant catch
crops for whatever insect. Here, for example, aphids adore the young
Guara lindheimeri, so those get planted in order to then attract lady
beetles...etc.

So, by that logic, then Marigolds COULD work under the right conditions,
right?

Not in the way you said they work. They do not repel insects, rather
attract them thus farmers use them as catch crops. So, the answer to
your last question is no, by no logic do marigolds work under the
right conditions to repel insects.