Old 27-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Robbin

Default Vine to cover foundation

How about doing something like a deck with storage underneath? Or perhaps
just a small storage room if it is not a place for a deck. It would really
help if you could take a couple of pics and link to them. Some of us could
probably give some creative ideas if we had more to work with.

It sounds to me like your builder got really cheap back there. They could
have built the foundation so that the brick came down close to the ground.
It wouldn't have been that much more expensive to drop that brick ledge and
then brick it. I've seen some really nice ways to deal with a problem like
this, but I have no idea the size of space you have to work with.

"CP" wrote in message
. ..
I appreciate your feedback. So, is there any other alternative? When we go
into our backyard, the 14 ft of solid foundation (it is huge) looks
unsightly. A couple of landscaping experts suggested covering it up with
vine/ivy to make it look natural. That is where we got the idea from. We
have the brick above the foundation (No wooden siding). Can you pass on

some
suggestions, as I am seriously re-thinking the idea of planting a vine...

Thanks once again.

-Aler

"starlia" wrote in message
I couldn't agree with you more as well. The damage the vines and shrubs
could do to your home is one thing, but it promotes and conceals pests.

work for a local government agency and I am in charge of pest control,

etc.
We have a huge problem with termites, rats, and mice getting access to
buildings with all types of ground cover including vines.

"bobwhite" wrote in message

I couldn't agree more, Karen!!!!!

Vines can really raise havoc with masonry, bricks, and siding of all
materials. I have replaced much siding because vines made holes in

it,
and
the siding began to rot. Of course, it was good for business, but an
unnecessary expense to a lot of people.

Also, please don't plant large hedges or shrubs close to a house.

They
seem small when you plant them, but they soon are huge. They can

grow
roof line height and more, and ruin shingles, and cause other damage.
Also, huge roots grow under the foundation and could eventually cause
breakage.

Bob

We have about 14 ft of foundation in our house and would like to
cover it with some type of an 'evergreen' Vine.

Why do you want to cover it with a vine?

I admit that I have some pretty strong feelings about vines. I just
helped a friend remove some Asian Jasmine from his house and garage
and saw firsthand how it ate holes in the wood and brick. Also, I
went to a college that had to constantly fight English Ivy while
still keeping enough around to still look Ivy League... There's no
way that I would put a vine next to my house. However, I think some
vines that can go on trellises look great, like potato vine.

Karen