Old 31-03-2007, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
R[_3_] R[_3_] is offline

Default Clay soil in the garden

"chris lowe" wrote in message
Hi everyone,
We've moved into a house with what used to be a nice 2 tier garden, alas
the
previous owner was a bit of an idiot and dug out the top tier - about 3ft
of
topsoil was disposed of - so he could have a flat lawn. Now we're left
with
the underlying clay rubbish which is compacted and sticky and impossible
dig / rake etc. As he dug out 3ft of earth the garden is now so low down
it
hardly gets any sun and doesn't drain which has made the clay even worse
and
even the grass has stopped growing and moss has appeared in its place!

My question is, Is there anything we can do like adding sand etc to the
clay
to make it more habitable for plants, even veggies, as at the moment it
just
looks awful!

Any help would be most appreciated as I don't fancy moving 10tons of
topsoil
back in!!!

Central turf area and a couple of raised beds would be less earth to move
and give a nice effect.
Clay is a bugger to make work unless you are prepared to go the whole hog
and install drainage, topsoil, and a lot of effort.