Old 01-04-2007, 12:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Growing grass

Kay Lancaster wrote in
:

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:12:32 -0400, Jack wrote:
Hello,
All of you grow tremendous plants I am sure. Personally, I can grow
crabgrass like nobody else in the neighborhood. Every year is a
bountiful crop. It's a new year in Zone 5: Rhode Island. This year,
I am going to win the battle.
.
I am going to overseed in late April/early May, but would like to
kill any crabgrass before it gets a chance to take hold. What are
you all recommending to put down right now? I think Tupersan is a
good product to use, but curious how the Lawn Rangers are handling
their crabgrass situations.

Crabgrass is an annual and has probably already germinated. Your best
bet is to mow properly, fertilize properly and overseed in the fall,
not the spring.

See:
http://tinyurl.com/3ba7en
which will lead you to a googlegroups archive of the crabgrass faq I
wrote a number of years ago.

Kay

Put your weed killer on in the fall, too, when the plants are sucking
nutrients up for their winter nap. Actually, the best time to fix/plant
a lawn in around Labor Day (or early fall) so you could probably take a
reprieve for a few months. It's sort of a losing battle right now.