Old 01-04-2007, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Lack of toadspawn

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
For the first time ever, we have absolutely no toad spawn in our pond.

The
frog spawn has either been killed by frost or taken by a heron, so this is
NOT our best year! But the total absence of toad spawn puzzles us very
much. Has anyone else experienced that this year? After such a mild

winter
it seems very peculiar. Will they arrive later/soon/never? Any ideas

from
anyone?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Our toads usually lay theirs down deep so we never see the spawn just the
little black tadpoles later, but like you no frog spawn to be seen, same as
last year but we had plenty of tadpoles last year frog and toad, so I am
guessing that if the frogs think it may be cold they too go deeper and our
toads are always weeks later than the frogs.
Your visiting Heron may well have had some adults but I did not realise they
would take spawn.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk