Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Geoff[_6_] Geoff[_6_] is offline

Default Clay soil in the garden

"chris lowe" wrote in message

My question is, Is there anything we can do like adding sand etc to the
clay
to make it more habitable for plants, even veggies, as at the moment it

Time was when the burning of clay was advocated so that it broke up to a
gritty nature which had lost its clay properties. It could then be used to
lighten the soil instead of grit but of course, lots of organic matter was
needed too. I suppose that would be frowned upon nowadays but you might
consider trying it with some clay come Nov. 5th if you have a decent
bonfi for certain, the potash and charcoal would help your garden.

Geoff