Old 01-04-2007, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Col Col is offline

Default Fuschias

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 31, 4:14 pm, "Col" wrote:
I have a number of fuschias in a sheltered location, south facing,
next to the back door that have not died down properly and
are now sprouting leaves from last years' branches.
I am located at moderate altitude in NW England and usually
my fushias just die back in the winter and I cut the dead branches
in the spring.
My gut instinct is to cut them back anyway to promote vigarous
new growth and prevent them going leggy but I would like some advice!

Col

Col, I have found that nothing hurts Fuschia. I have some that have
died back completely and some like yours that have not died and are
showing sign of growth.

I am letting some grow on without cutting them back for a month or so
and then I will take cuttings of the new growth leaving a compact
plant. The cuttings root so easily, just use your thumb and stick
them into a pot.

I will leave them be for now, it will be an interesting experiment
if nothing else. The plants in question were themselves taken
from cuttings, it really is very easy

Col