Old 01-04-2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
G Pearce G Pearce is offline

Default bucket filter really worked

a caution. bacteria like ridX are usually of the anaerobic kind, that is
they crank out some quite toxic compounds in teh process of breaking
organics down. really good aeration and flow of water thru the pond can
keep mulm to a minimum. this is now my 7th year of the pond and I can
still
see the folds on the bottom of my pond (also the pea gravel they sucked
out
of the lily pots). the mulm from my pond ends up in the veggie filter
where
I clean it out once a year in fall.

Yes, I knew there was a caution about RidX, but couldn't pull it from
memory at the time. In our aerobic environments it shouldn't work, and if
it does, one doesn't have enough air in their pond.

I also think the mulm problem has declined since I started feeding really
high quality koi food. Ingrid

Agreed, and I also think it helps that as koi get bigger they help push
mum
towards bottom drains and/or pumps in the pond. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State

My bro-in-law used a similar product in his pond and maybe he still does -
it was formulated for sewage lagoons and had enzymes in it that were related
to cancer causing ingredients (for lack of a better word) - it had big ,
bold print "do not use in bodies of water containing fish or coming into
human contact" . When he used it, it turned his pond a rusty red colour that
lasted a few days and stripped ALL the algae from his pond - nothing but
rock and bare liner was left after a week or so and no mulm either. He paid
$45 for a 5 liter jug and used 2 cups in 2000 gal pond . I don't think I'd
use the stuff, seemed a little scary what it could do so fast.
Gale :~)