Old 01-04-2007, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Black Walnut tree growing normally?

I also took soil samples from about Black walnut trees in old growth forest.
This could be a guide as to what elements may be lacking. I would be
willing to share the data.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

wrote in message
I have previously heard that black walnuts tend to grow rapidly. We
planted one last year and it only grew about 2 inches, which is not
totally unexpected given that it was probably using a lot of its
energy to grow a taproot. It has now been over 3 weeks since the last
frost. All of the maples and oaks on my street are getting buds, but
the walnut appears to still be dormant (or dead, I really don't know
how to tell). Do those take later in the season to start growing, and
if so, should I expect it to grow more this year? It is in partial
sun because we have 3 maples on the easement that provide some shade
during particular times of day. Hopefully that won't have an overly
negative effect on it.