Old 01-04-2007, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gregoire Kretz Gregoire Kretz is offline

Default Upside-down Tomato Gardens

Sacha wrote:

Heaven forbid I should crush such enterprise but if nature decreed plants
should grow 'up', why, I wonder, would we expect them to be better if grown
'down'.

There have been experiments, notably to grow plants in space: I remember
seeing some at Epcot, where they were more or less growing lettuce in
some sort of rotating tumble dryers. I can't remember if the roots were
inside or outside, but they were fed by spraying.

I hope you will try and will let us all know because it sounds
interesting.

Absolutely. For once gravity and the weight of the tomatoes will pull
the stems in the same direction.
Maybe there will be consequences as to how much sunshine each tomato
receives, too.

I must be getting (I know I am) but I do have a touch of
scepticism about this. I'm waiting for someone to suggest we grow potatoes
(not Solanum crispum for the smarty pants!) up a trellis. ;-)

Well, they do grow those gardens vertically now...

Greg
--

Have you ever really considered how much your buildings actually weigh?

No ficus = no spam