Old 02-04-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
G Pearce G Pearce is offline

Default bucket filter really worked

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 13:12:54 CST, "G Pearce"
wrote:

My bro-in-law used a similar product in his pond and maybe he still does -
it was formulated for sewage lagoons and had enzymes in it that were
related
to cancer causing ingredients (for lack of a better word) - it had big ,
bold print "do not use in bodies of water containing fish or coming into
human contact" . When he used it, it turned his pond a rusty red colour
that
lasted a few days and stripped ALL the algae from his pond - nothing but
rock and bare liner was left after a week or so and no mulm either. He
paid
$45 for a 5 liter jug and used 2 cups in 2000 gal pond . I don't think I'd
use the stuff, seemed a little scary what it could do so fast.
Gale :~)

Didn't that miss up his biological filter?

If by mess up you mean kill the biological action, no. That is what this
stuff is supposed to do, boost the bio action with bacteria and enzymes - it
was enzyme part that worried me and the warning about not using it in a body
of water for fish (I presumed they were concerned about fish that could be
eaten by us) or any water you or I may come into contact with until diluted
by a river or lake
Gale :~)
PS - it also stated on the jug "For industrial application only"