Old 02-04-2007, 10:29 AM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default who took a dead starling?

Pongo Potts wrote:
"JWBH" wrote in message
Today I saw a starling drop out of a tree, and it appeared quite dead on
the ground. I came back about an hour later to pick up the corpse and it
had disappeared.

what might have happened? foxes roam about there, plus cats and also we
also have a lot of magpies around. but would they be interested in taking
an already dead bird?

One in a million sighting.

you said it had just died, so yes a cat would take it.

don't forget a road kill pheasant is still ok to pick up later.

Any dead creature get short shrift in my rather large country garden.
Deag rabbits, squirrels, pidgeons and mice soon get hauled off, some
definately by foxes. Perhaps we should abandone the system of burning or
burying our dead, and leave them out for nature to deal with, much more
eccological friendly.