Old 02-04-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default What did you get done this weekend?

On Sun, 1 Apr 2007 22:39:40 CST, "Phyllis and Jim"
wrote:

Will the rose spike jack up the total nutrients and increase the
algae? My lilies might like some fertilizer.

Most of my lilies, however, are loose on the cement floor of the
pond. Any good thoughts about fertilizing them? Or do I just assume
they will grab nutrients from the water?

I think there is more to algae growth and disappearance than just
nutrients in the water. I can't say that adding fertilizer for the
lilies won't cause algae bloom, but I'm not as convinced as some here
that it will either. I do believe if your lilies do well without
fertilizer you are way ahead of a good bit of work repotting and
fertilizing and they are removing nutrients, which is the main reason
for pond plants IMHO.

I don't consider my lilies a nutrient remover, just a shade producer.
The fertilizer I use in the pots is inserted into the dirt in the pot
and I hope it stays within the confines of the pot. I don't believe
it all stays in the pot, but it works to make the lilies grow better
and produce more flowers and I'm willing to chance the fertilizer in
the pond if it escapes the pot.

Regards,

Hal