Old 02-04-2007, 02:12 PM posted to austin.gardening
WoolyGooly WoolyGooly is offline

Default Bamboo

On 1 Apr 2007 12:55:23 -0700, "
wrote:

The place where I want to cover is a fence facing a road. I don't have
close any neighbors. The closest ones ones are 2 acres away. Something
invasive doesn't matter :-) I've done a little homework about bamboo.
And know about planting it in a trench that been lined with plastic
and filled with dirt.

Then you know that given enough time it will break out of plastic. It
will also break out of cement-lined trenches given enough time, which
in the case of your standard nasty weedy yellow bamboo is ~5 years.
My in-laws' neighbors trenched 3' deep, installed cement/concrete
retaining walls (not blocks and mortar, poured concrete), then planted
bamboo.

The shit is now all over their yard, my mother's-in-law yard, and the
two nearest neighbors behind the original planting.

Once it gets a roothold there's nearly no way to eradicate it.
Really. Use something else. Preserve your property value.