Old 02-04-2007, 06:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default planting grass in the shady backyard

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all! I would like to plant grass in our back yard that has several
trees. It gets some sun, but not much, it's usually shady during the
day. I would like your expert advice on the following issues:

1. When to plant grass? Note: According to city ordinance, I MUST
plant grass between now and May 15, which leaves me a little over a
month. I don't know if it's the best time for planting or not but I
have no choice. So I wonder if it's wrong time to plant, what will the
consequences be (i.e. will the grass grow this summer, will I have to
use some special care, etc.)?

2. What type of grass should I plant that grows best in the shade?
Should I use seeds or "roll-out grass"?

3. What are the tips for caring for the newly planted grass? Should I
buy a sprinkler system? How often do I need to fertilize it?

I live in St. Louis, MO. Thanks for all responses!

In addition to what info you get here, you should also contact your state's
cooperative extension service. You can find it via a google search using the
words:
missouri cooperative extension service