Old 02-04-2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Travis M. Travis M. is offline

Default Dying Lucky Bamboo

"Julia Royce" wrote in message
My 7year old daughter was given a lucky bamboo some 4.5 years ago
which has
lived quite happily, in a demi-john with a couple of inches of water
in the
bottom, until quite recently. In the last year the stem has gone brown
and
woody, with some parts rather blackened and wrinkled and one bit has
mould
growing on it. The leaves are brown and dry. We moved about 18m ago,
and
now live in an area where the water is heavily chlorinated - I don't
know if
that has anything to do with it.

There are two parts - at the bottom with the roots and at the top -
which
are still green. Can I save it? How?

Thank you very much.

Lucky bamboo is not bamboo. It is a Dracena. They are cheap and
everywhere. Buy a new one and plant it is potting soil.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington