Old 02-04-2007, 07:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
[email protected] dingodog_1979@yahoo.com is offline

Default planting grass in shady back yard

Hi all! I would like to plant grass in our back yard that has several
trees. It gets some sun, but not much, it's usually shady during the
day. I would like your expert advice on the following issues:

1. When to plant grass? Note: According to city ordinance, I MUST
plant grass between now and May 15, which leaves me a little over a
month. I don't know if it's the best time for planting or not but I
have no choice. So I wonder if it's wrong time to plant, what will
the
consequences be (i.e. will the grass grow this summer, will I have to
use some special care, etc.)?

2. What type of grass should I plant that grows best in the shade?
Should I use seeds or "roll-out grass"?

3. What are the tips for caring for the newly planted grass? Should I
buy a sprinkler system? How often do I need to fertilize it?

I live in St. Louis, MO. Thanks for all responses!