Old 02-04-2007, 10:22 PM posted to austin.gardening
oldhickory oldhickory is offline

Default Bamboo

I was talked out of it. I'm SO glad. I fell in love with the gardens in
Japan when I visited there 20 years ago and have always wanted to replicate
some here but I know that bamboo would be insane to try (except, perhaps for
clumping if I have lots of maintainance time) so I gave up a few years ago.

I have a friend who didn't listen and he's been digging for years. The
neighbors finally moved. I've shown a couple of houses to clients that had
bamboo. Fortunately neither house was attractive to them so I didn't have
to sit them down and explain the curse of the bamboo in the back yard.....

When I need a fix I go to Zilker....
--
ie
ride fast, take chances.

"Jangchub" wrote in message
Bamboo, in mild winter climate areas are like the Bermuda grass of
tall plants. Bamboo is a grass, I believe and it spreads by very
sturdy culms, at least I think that's what the runners are called.

I love the stuff, but it isn't anywhere in my yard.

I have one rather invasive weed, horsetail, but it is IN the pond with
no access to any soil anywhere and can't jump the pond on the sneak!

I think when people have their mind set, that's it. So, trying to
talk someone out of bamboo is futile.