Old 02-04-2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] robertharvey@my-deja.com is offline

Default who took a dead starling?

On 1 Apr, 23:29, "JWBH" wrote:
Today I saw a starling drop out of a tree, and it appeared quite dead on the
ground. I came back about an hour later to pick up the corpse and it had
disappeared.

I'd go with foxes, too. They eat a fair amount of carrion, (and a
surprising amount of fruit. But they are only suspect one: feral cats
are often that hungry.

Several larger birds take carrion: but they frequently eat at the
carcass, they don't often take it away: at the very least I'd expect
to see a lot of feathers left, unless they have young in the nest and
it's a bit early for that.