Old 03-04-2007, 06:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default How do I fertilize lilies growing on cement?

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
They are doing very well in pots and are
blooming their heads off.

How did they do when they were on the loose? Lots of blooms to go
with the leaves?

I will be very interested in how they do with your fertilizer!

Jim

I did a mini-experiment (read: too lazy
to repot a large hardy lily) a few weeks
ago. The potted lily in one of my above-
ground ponds was growing way out of
the container (a dishpan). I divided it
(don't ask how...), moved the pot with
about half the lily to another container,
left the free-floating (?) remains in the
pond in which it had been growing. Large
roots sticking out and about. So far it
continues to put out new leaves. Still a
bit cool for flowers.

I stuck one of those season-long fert
sticks in the midst of the mass of roots
which might work or might not.

IIRC the original hardy lily (now in
three different ponds) came from a local
nursery where it was just hanging around
a metal stocktank, not even potted.

I'm also a "minimalist" gardener - water
or soil. I'll report on what happens to my
mutilated water lily.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA