Old 03-04-2007, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
HumanJHawkins HumanJHawkins is offline
Registered User

Default Dying Lucky Bamboo

Hi Julia,

Sorry to hear about your plant... It's a goner. Apparently (and I have
no idea if this is just an internet myth), it is also potentially a
health hazard... Several places that talk about dracenia advise to get
rid of it at once if it starts to rot, which is what you describe.

Anyway, there is a wikihow article on lucky bamboo that has a lot of
info on taking care of it. My guess is that the chlorine is not at all
good for it... If you get another one, you might have to find a source
of non-chlorinated water for it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Care-of-Lucky-Bamboo

Cheers!

On Apr 2, 5:45 am, "Julia Royce" wrote:
My 7year old daughter was given a lucky bamboo some 4.5 years ago which has
lived quite happily, in a demi-john with a couple of inches of water in the
bottom, until quite recently. In the last year the stem has gone brown and
woody, with some parts rather blackened and wrinkled and one bit has mould
growing on it. The leaves are brown and dry. We moved about 18m ago, and
now live in an area where the water is heavily chlorinated - I don't know if
that has anything to do with it.

There are two parts - at the bottom with the roots and at the top - which
are still green. Can I save it? How?

Thank you very much.