Old 04-04-2007, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
WPB WPB is offline

Default Cedar trees: how to space them

Hello, all: Just a brief question. On the weekend I bought 6 cedar trees.
Emerald Green Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' -- zone 3a). The
information tag mentions how deeply to plant them, but not how far apart.
The trees are 5-6 feet tall and about 1-2 feet wide. I wanted to plant
them as a privacy wall and thought that I'd put them so that their branches
were just a few inches apart. Someone at my gym said this morning "No, no!
They should be about 3 feet apart from each other. But I'm worried that
this would be too far and they won't fill in enough.

Any advice or comments would be gratefully received!

David

PS: I live in Toronto, Canada if that makes a difference in terms of
temperature, planting concerns, etc.