Old 05-04-2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga Diana Kulaga is offline

Default Normal?

Well, then the conversation has been good. Rhizome is the base of the Catts,
Dends, etc, from which the new growths come. Go to Ray's site and look up
culture. There are a few different types of growth habits for orchids.
Monopodal, sympodial. It's very interesting, and there are different ways of
repotting, depending upon the growth habit of the plant.

By the way, remember that Zygo. mackayi is a fairly cool grower. I learned
this years ago when I was even more stupid than I am now, LOL! Keep it in
the air conditioned cabin with lots of light. I won't comment on Neo.
falcata, since I killed the only one I had. I fully intend to get another,
and keep it happy!

Diana

"Robert Lorenzini" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:13:41 -0400, Diana Kulaga wrote:
Bob, it's not a keiki at all. It's simply a new, immature pseudobulb.
You've
got two of them. A basal keiki might be found, for example, on a
Phalaenopsis, which does not grow on a rhizome. The plant is doing just
what
it ought to do. Be happy!

Ok, we have been calling every new growth a keiki and now I
have to go look up rhizome. :-( I'm looking forward to a
small compot of Neofinetia falcata (I hope I misspelled that
correctly) that I just bought on ebay. I got a friend hooked
and he asked me to bid on .95 plant from the same vendor.
Well surpise he got it and just 2.50 additional shipping.
(Zygopetalum mackayi)

Bob