Old 04-04-2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default How do I fertilize lilies growing on cement?

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:05:18 CST, Altum
wrote:

I run my tiny pond much like an aquarium. I fertilize the water with
the same mix of bulk potassium nitrate, potassium phosphate, potassium
sulfate, and hydroponic trace element/iron fertilizer that I use in the
indoor tanks. Phosphate in the water column makes the WH and canna
lilies bloom like crazy. I don't see why it wouldn't do the same for a
bare-root lily.

That's interesting.

It does sound suspiciously like it might contain the same stuff as a
numbered soluble fertilizer like 15-30-15, that I find at Walmart. I
don't know where these chemicals come from, or if they are in
combination with potassium but my understanding is they are simply
nitrates, phosphates and potassium.

What is the difference in using a mix of bulk potassium nitrate,
potassium phosphate, potassium sulfate? Sounds like potassium comes
with everything and I wonder why, and if it works better?

Regards,

Hal