Old 05-04-2007, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Russian vine

In article .com,
"Renee" writes:

| I posted them earlier, Nick. I'm looking for something that will cover
| a fence that is roughly 25 foot long by 5 foot high. I want something
| with small flowers, easy to maintain, and which will also mask the
| fence, which is quite unsightly. I'm not sure about the soil, but the
| fence is south-facing. There used to be blackberry bushes there, but
| we had them all uprooted years ago. (Although shoots sometimes still
| appear through the lawn!)

Consider any of the more vigorous, small-flowered clematis or lonicera
(including the natives C. vitalba and L. periclymenum). The various
hydrangea relatives and (primarily for foliage) Parthenocissus are
also appropriate. In warmer areas there are lots of other things,
too. Most need something to cling onto, but the hydrangea relatives
and Parthenocissus don't. There are also ivies by the dozen, which
don't, either.

Clematis armandii is excellent if the fence is strong enough and it
can have a few wires tacked into it. It is the best of the evergreen
climbers for such a purpose (in most of the UK, that is), and is
spectacular in spring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.