Old 05-04-2007, 03:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treelady Treelady is offline

Default Cedar trees: how to space them

On Apr 4, 10:13 pm, "symplastless" wrote:
I do not know what they told you on the label but here are planting
suggestions. As far as spacing goes that depends on your goal. They may
grow well together as a group. http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following:

Troubles in the Rhizospherehttp://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

UnhealthyTreesfrom the Nursery / Improper Plantinghttp://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html and
Look up "Tree Planting"http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Improper Mulching -http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html andhttp://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/index.html Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruninghttp://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arboristhttp://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"WPB" wrote in message

Hello, all: Just a brief question. On the weekend I bought 6 cedartrees.
Emerald Green Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' -- zone 3a). The
information tag mentions how deeply to plant them, but not how far apart.
Thetreesare 5-6 feet tall and about 1-2 feet wide. I wanted to plant
them as a privacy wall and thought that I'd put them so that their
branches
were just a few inches apart. Someone at my gym said this morning "No,
no!
They should be about 3 feet apart from each other. But I'm worried that
this would be too far and they won't fill in enough.

Any advice or comments would be gratefully received!

David

PS: I live in Toronto, Canada if that makes a difference in terms of
temperature, planting concerns, etc.- Hide quoted text -

Minor picky detail: Thuja's are not related in any way to Cedars.
Separate species entirely.