Old 05-04-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Normal?

Bob, go buy the Ortho book 'All About Growing Orchids'. Should cost about
$12 at any bookstore. I've even seen it at Home Depot. Its also on
Amazon.com. You can probably get a used copy on Amazon for a song. It's a
great basic education for a person starting in the hobby, probably will take
about an hour or two to flip through and it'll be a handy reference as you
want more information as your interest in this hobby grows. It answers the
questions you don't yet know you need to ask. *G*

K Barrett

"Robert Lorenzini" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:13:41 -0400, Diana Kulaga wrote:
Bob, it's not a keiki at all. It's simply a new, immature pseudobulb.
You've
got two of them. A basal keiki might be found, for example, on a
Phalaenopsis, which does not grow on a rhizome. The plant is doing just
what
it ought to do. Be happy!

Ok, we have been calling every new growth a keiki and now I
have to go look up rhizome. :-( I'm looking forward to a
small compot of Neofinetia falcata (I hope I misspelled that
correctly) that I just bought on ebay. I got a friend hooked
and he asked me to bid on .95 plant from the same vendor.
Well surpise he got it and just 2.50 additional shipping.
(Zygopetalum mackayi)

Bob