Old 05-04-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Russian vine

On 5 Apr, 16:17, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
| What's a 'Japonica'?

Chaenomeles. All of C. japonica, C. speciosa and C. x superba are
commonly called Japanese quince or japonica.

Thank you. I thought Serena missed something before 'japonica' and I
started going through all the 'japonica' I knew. I didn't know you
called a Chaenomeles just 'Japonica'. I have a lovely one which I have
rescued. It really is a slow grower but it is, with the ribes and the
rhodo the firstspring colours of our garden. It's so delicate and
against the white wall it is just so perfect.

That's English names for you :-)

Well yes! You say Snapdragon, I say Wolf's Head ... (Antirrhinum
majus).