Old 27-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Identifying Trees in the wild

Hey,

I recommend Audubon's Eastern Trees field guide, or the

Petersons
field guides. They are excellent, but the problem comes when

you are looking
at a young tree but the book has a picture of a fully mature

tree. I have
learned a lot from simply studying field guides. Hope I helped

some!

For winter (bare) Tree and shrub ID the Audubon book is better
than Peterson's. It shows bark. There is a pair of books (whose
titles TOTALLY escape me) that show photos of twigs, bud scars,
etc.. They are large (10x11 at LEAST!). One deals with shrubs
and the other with trees. B&N has carried them locally; I've not
seen them at other book stores (and come to think of it I haven't
seen them at all, lately, so maybe they're OUP.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++