Old 05-04-2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.birds,uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default who took a dead starling?

Jerry Avins wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Rather than just "pollution in the environment", the vultures were
killed by a specific drug, diclofenac, being used to treat sick
cattle. It causes kidney failure and rapid death in the vultures.
The drug is now being phased out.

Diclofenac doesn't cure anything, it's just a pain killer. What a way
to run a farm!

Well, it is an effective anti-inflammatory: I don't know what else it
may once have been prescribed for (under the influence of incomplete
trials or of salesmen, or both, no doubt), but I'd be inclined to blame
salesmanship rather than the farmers.

--
Mike.