Old 28-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Identifying Trees in the wild

Anita Hawkins wrote:

"Isom, Jeff (EM, PTL)" wrote:
... My question is this: is there any
telltale giveaway means to tell what is what without leaves

Hi Jeff, congrats on this wonderful opportunity!

The best resource to take with you is someone local who knows the
species likely to be there, and how to ID them. Also someone with a
strong back to cheerfully help pack your trees out.. I'd come myself,
but it's a bit of a drive
snip

If you don't have time to key out a twig, you can get a clue to what
sort of trees/shrubs are in the area by looking at the leaves on the
ground, just don't expect them to still be next to the precise tree
they came off!

If you still don't know what it is, and it has a great trunk, go
ahead, dig it up and try! My only caution is to avoid mystery trees
with thick twigs and coarse branching patterns, these nearly always
turn out to be a disappointment.

Oh, and be sure you can recognize poison ivy or oak leafless...

Enjoy!
Anita

Other giveaways are if the tree holds on to its leaves during winter--hornbeam,
oak, beech for example. One trick I use, although it is not foolproof, is to look
at the leaves on the ground near the tree. I use this as a secondary method
though. The buds and bark are the best way.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++