Old 06-04-2007, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
skunker skunker is offline

Default Need help deciphering my soil test results!

On Apr 5, 7:27 pm, Charles wrote:
On 5 Apr 2007 17:02:21 -0700, "skunker" wrote:

Thanks for your assistance.

My Font yard is: 1578sqft
My Back Yard is: 1450sqft

I am only growing lawn.

I figured all I had to do was boost the nitrogen, but do stores sell
only nitrogen? I thought most fertilizers had all kinds of stuff in it
like potassium, phosphorus, etc.

Lastly, since my pH is 7.9 and St. Augustine is supposed to be around
7.0, do I need to bring it down to around 6.5? I currently am at 7.9ph
and I wonder if this is a big deal or can I ignore this?

Use ammonium sulfate fertilizer. The sulfate will reduce the pH a
bit, the ammonium converts to a form of nitrogen that the lawn needs.

Front yard needs :
1578/1000 = 1.578
1.578 * .3 = .4734 pounds of nitrogen

Ammonium sulfate is 21% nitrogen, so:

0 .4734 / 0.21 = 2.25 pounds of fertilizer

Back yard
1450/1000 = 1.450

1.450* 0.4 = 0.58

0.58/.21 = 2.76 pounds of fertilizer.

And if you put on two or three times as much, it won't hurt. Water it
in well. Other fertilizers will have other stuff in them but what is
needed is just nitrogen, and it is cheap by comparison.

Thanks my friend! That works. I'll report in a few weeks and let you
know how it goes