Old 06-04-2007, 01:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Catnip survivability

"Travis M." wrote in news:2rmRh.7228
$jZ3.2673@trnddc06:

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I planted catnip in my herbal garden because I happen to like the smell
of it.

I realized that sooner or later the neighborhood ferals would start
chomping on it, but I didn't realize the extent of the damage they can
cause.

How well can catnip survive this kind of damage by cats? Is it a very
hardy plant that will recover or might I just as soon plant it indoors
because it won't survive outside? I always got the impression that it
was a weed basically and would recover very fast.

Mine did not survive the 2 or 3 outdoor cats that come to my yard.

I'm surprised it didn't since it's a mint and everyone keeps telling me
that mint is indestructable.

I've found that not all cats like catnip, either, so maybe you won't have
rambling hoards of raiding cats. But you can always plant catmint which
smells as nice and isn't supposed to be as attractive to cats. Or any of
the other deliciously scented mints. Chocolate, orange, peppermint...
yum. (I love mints.