Old 06-04-2007, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
torge conrad maguar torge conrad maguar is offline

Default Bamboo

How do you prune a Bamboo? The one I have is becoming rather large - do
just chop bits out of it, cut it back or what?

Any advice welcome.

When its bushy it seems puzzling to know where to start. what I do is get
hedging shears and hack brutally into it cutting in a * vertical direction*.
this makes the main vertical stems more 'visible'.

Then cut down say half the main stems at ground level. then take out a
lot of side shoots. as far as I can see from my own experience bamboos just
seem to grow back really fast after pruning.

To my mind I think bamboos actually look more interesting if you have less
stems.