Old 06-04-2007, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default There must be an easy way

Nick Maclaren writes

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 6/4/07 10:58, in article ,
| "Muddymike" wrote:
|
| I am busy spring cleaning in the garden, presently pressure washing the
| paving. There must be an easier way of doing this, it takes me hours to
| remove the winter grime and algae from our 100s of slabs. The tarmac drive
| is another question, pressure washing seems to dislodge a lot of
| surface
| stone.
|
| So how do you remove moss and algae from paths and drives?

Generally, I don't. The sun does it for me. Algae will grow only
where the sun doesn't reach. In places where the sun doesn't shine,
I use a stiff broom and sharp sand[*].

| Isn't there some stuff called Pathclear that you water on, which kills moss
| and algae? I imagine a weak bleach solution would do it but you don't want
| it near your plants or ponds when you hose it off.

Yes, but you DON'T want Pathclear to run onto plants and ponds.

As Nick says. Pathclear is a herbicide, very good for killing weeds on
gravel paths. It wouldn't be a good idea hose it off a tarmac path onto
a garden.

--
Kay