Old 28-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Anita Hawkins

Default [IBC] Identifying Trees in the wild

H Jeff, Jim;

Jim Lewis wrote:

For winter (bare) Tree and shrub ID the Audubon book is better
than Peterson's. It shows bark.

Bark helps, but often puzzles me on younger trees, they all seem to
look alike which is why I suggested the Petersons, for the
bud-based Key. Does the Audubon book have a key, Jim?? I can't recall,
and I know your bookshelf is closer than mine.

...There is a pair of books (whose
titles TOTALLY escape me) that show photos of twigs, bud scars,
etc.. They are large (10x11 at LEAST!). One deals with shrubs
and the other with trees.

Shrub Identification Book by George Symonds, and the rather thinner
Tree Identification Book. These are excellent, but a bit much to carry
out collecting

Anita

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++