Old 06-04-2007, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Butzmark Butzmark is offline

Default Catnip survivability

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 18:12:09 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I planted catnip in my herbal garden because I happen to like the smell of
it.

I realized that sooner or later the neighborhood ferals would start chomping
on it, but I didn't realize the extent of the damage they can cause.

How well can catnip survive this kind of damage by cats? Is it a very hardy
plant that will recover or might I just as soon plant it indoors because it
won't survive outside? I always got the impression that it was a weed
basically and would recover very fast.

I covered mine with hardware cloth (wire mesh with half inch holes) a
couple of inches off the ground. The cats only ate what grew through
the mesh. It's come up again this spring so I think it may be strong
enough now to survive without protection.