Old 06-04-2007, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
CB CB is offline

Default Taming the monster forsythia

I just read that you are supposed to prune spring bloomers like forsythias
right after they bloom. If you wait longer than two or three weeks, you will
cut off new buds set for next year's flowers.

"Lot-o-fun" wrote in message
The house we just bought has a monster forsythia in the back yard that
clearly has not been attended to in a long time. We're talking 40 ft
by 20 ft by 10 ft tall. We want to scale it back to a more reasonable
sized, but we're not sure how to go about it. Hand tools would take
forever. I could attack it with power tools---would a hedge clipper or
chain saw be better? Any suggestions about dealing with this out of
control monster would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance,
Lotofun