Old 06-04-2007, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
BruceM BruceM is offline

Default Scale control - methods for indoor control?

I used neem oil as a drench last year when I had mites in the soil of my
african violets. The smell of them really did not agree with me. It had a
kind of old onion oil smell that wasn't unpleasant, just really odd to come
home to. It worked great on the mites though. I've heard there are some
manafacturers who do a better job of hiding / removing that smell. I'll talk
to our local organinc shop today and see what they have. I was thinking of
the enstar when I can find a local supplier

I really need to get a greenhouse so I can stop being picky!!!!!!!

"a.bickell" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bruce,

In India they use Neem oil as hair oil and in toothpaste. They also
use it striaght out of the bottle as an antiseptic. I think you can
consider it non-toxic and it does one heck of a job on scale insects
(cheap too). I buy mine at the local Asian food store for $3/bottle.
After use, just keep your plants out of the sun for a few days.