Old 06-04-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default How do I fertilize lilies growing on cement?

Reel McKoi wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

Ye gods! I wouldn't dream of doing that. There's a pump on the bottom
that
pumps the mulm up into the veggie filter. Pretty well all the maintenance
is in the veggie filter.

The bottom of my rubber lined ponds have a very gradual slope where I was
told mulm, if any, would collect. But that's not the case. In the
troublesome pond (which is actually 880g) the mulm collects all over the
bottom and shelves. The pump, at the lowest point and in a prefilter of 2
black plant baskets clam-shelled together, only sucks in what's real close
and pumps it to the filter. The mulm around it is left undisturbed.

I use a large bore pump, capable of moving 7/8" solids (obviously, fish fry
too), and don't bother with a prefilter. Sure, mulm collects in folds and
flat spot in the rest of the pond. I don't worry about it. It all flows
downhill eventually.

Fish, and bare-root lilies to maximize their ability to extract nutrients
from the water.

How do you remove the unwanted fry? Sorry but I don't remember why kind
of fish you're keeping.

I've never seen evidence of koi fry, and the goldfish don't get too
prolific. I very rarely feed them - I'm sure there's a lot of
cannibalization, and a few going through the pump. That said, at any given
time it's home to a at least a few hundred goldfish and a half-dozen koi.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated