Old 06-04-2007, 06:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default How do I fertilize lilies growing on cement?

Altum wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:
Altum wrote:

How can something that contains ammonia not be toxic to fish???

The fertilizers mentioned contain ammonium, not ammonia. Really close,
but _much_ less toxic.

Ammonium is just the protonated salt form of ammonia.

Yes, but it's _still_ much less toxic than ammonia.

Put it in alkaline water (as in most ponds) and it promptly loses a
proton and becomes ammonia.

"most ponds"? I think you'd be hard pressed to prove it. I'm not convinced
your chemistry is right, either - mine's way in the past, but it doesn't
seem valid to me.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated