Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Altum[_3_] Altum[_3_] is offline

Default How do I fertilize lilies growing on cement?

Derek Broughton wrote:
Altum wrote:

Yes, but it's _still_ much less toxic than ammonia.
Put it in alkaline water (as in most ponds) and it promptly loses a
proton and becomes ammonia.

"most ponds"? I think you'd be hard pressed to prove it. I'm not convinced
your chemistry is right, either - mine's way in the past, but it doesn't
seem valid to me.

What part of "pKa of ammonium = 9.2" is unclear? You can verify that
number anywhere. If you have forgotten what a pKa is, you may want to
equations and buffering chemistry. Knowing about the pH-dependent
equilibrium between less NH4+ and NH3 is fairly fundamental to aquarium
and pond chemistry.

--
My other fish and pond forum is:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium