Old 07-04-2007, 05:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Vines for clay soil

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 18:49:31 GMT, Rob wrote:

"claudia" wrote in news:1174401624.381780.291710
:

Does anybody can recommend a vine that will grow in heavy clay soil?
I need to close a big fence but I am not willing to amend the soil.

Thanks

Clematis paniculata grows like a weed in my clay soil.

I have nice clay soil and I have several vines which do very well.

C. paniculata (already mentioned)
Campsis radicans 'Flava' aka Trumpet vine
Passiflora aka Passion flower, all varieties do well in clay
Mascagnia macroptera aka Butterfly vine

There are so many it is hard to name a fraction. I have these above
and I live in USDA Zone 8b, Texas