Old 28-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Identifying Trees in the wild

H Jeff, Jim;

Jim Lewis wrote:

For winter (bare) Tree and shrub ID the Audubon book is

better
than Peterson's. It shows bark.

Bark helps, but often puzzles me on younger trees, they all

seem to
look alike which is why I suggested the Petersons, for the
bud-based Key. Does the Audubon book have a key, Jim?? I can't

recall,
and I know your bookshelf is closer than mine.

No "key" in the sense you mean, Anita. Audubon calls the photo
pages "keys" and they key in on flowers, leaves, bark, etc..

...There is a pair of books (whose
titles TOTALLY escape me) that show photos of twigs, bud

scars,
etc.. They are large (10x11 at LEAST!). One deals with

shrubs
and the other with trees.

Shrub Identification Book by George Symonds, and the rather

thinner
Tree Identification Book. These are excellent, but a bit much

to carry
out collecting

Those 'r them. And you're right . . . but if you have a
wheelbarrow . . .

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --