Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default Catnip survivability

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 18:12:09 -0700, Eigenvector wrote:
How well can catnip survive this kind of damage by cats? Is it a very hardy
plant that will recover or might I just as soon plant it indoors because it
won't survive outside? I always got the impression that it was a weed

basically and would recover very fast.

There's an old saying about catnip: "If you set* it, the cats will get it.
If you sow it, the cats won't know it." *set: set out a started plant.

I've seen cats dig up freshly planted catnip -- in fact, I've got
a botanical key someplace
that has a hole licked through the cover by cats who were after the
Nepeta x fassenii sprig I'd pressed between the pages.

Chicken wire or lots of citrus peel help if you're going to grow started
plants... otherwise, start your plants from seed.

Yes, it's weedy in some parts of the US. Barely hangs on for me here
in western Oregon unless I cuddle it up to a south facing stone wall for
warmth.

Kay