Old 07-04-2007, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Choosing a Wisteria

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 6/4/07 22:56, in article ,

"Pam
Moore" wrote:

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 17:08:25 GMT, "Andrew Newton"
wrote:

Can anyone please explain the difference between W.Sinnesis & W.

Floribunda.
Also are there any particular recommended varieties I should look out

for.

TIA
Andrew

One twines one way, and one the other but I forget which!
My tip, buy one when it is in flower. I did 2 years ago and it has
flowered each year since. Mine is sinensis and I'm very pleased with
it.

I think W. floribunda has longer racemes and the leaves come out the same
time as the flowers. And you're right about one twining one way and the
other t'other way.

--
Sacha

These differences are minor compared to the major difference in size and
vigour, W. floribunda is a much smaller plant at a mere 40' W. sinensis can
get to 120' and bring down house fronts with the shear weight of it (I will
admit not many posters are likely to live long enough to have that problem!)
most named forms are from sinensis and almost all wisteria is grafted onto
sinensis roots anyway so you get a pretty vigorous plant what ever. I still
prefer to do my Wisteria floribunda from cuttings, it seems a much more
modest sized plant! (covered in buds at present)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk