Old 07-04-2007, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_2_] Alan Holmes[_2_] is offline

Default Collared Doves

"Keith (Dorset)" wrote in message

Hi Mike,

I sympathise, we have had a female sparrowhawk here hunting very actively
(along with the resident Peregrines and Kestrels) since early last autumn.

Having said that, when we were kids they had become so relatively scarce,
due to pesticides, that I try to remind myself that we are all the richer
now.

Whenever I see a sparrowhawk kill I remind myself of the main reason for
'so few' garden birds nowadays - seven million domestic cats in Britain.

I have had cats for a long time and the only 'gifts' I have every been
offered, have been mice, as far as I can remember none of them have ever
offered me a bird, dead or otherwise.

Alan