Old 07-04-2007, 05:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default How do I fertilize lilies growing on cement?

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:35:15 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

I used to have a bath-tub pond by my front door. Every spring, I'd pull
plants off the bottom of the big pond and replant the tub pond. One year I
must have either included a goldfish egg or small fry with the plants. I
never saw him until I dug up the pond in the fall. There had never been
more than two inches of water above the soil in that tub (it was being used
mostly for Lotus), and the goldfish was 8" long when I found him.

Goldfish are amazing. I find the biggest one's in my filter barrels.

I didn't like the temperature swings in the converted hot tub. No
heater, just sunshine, but the temperature rose to what I thought was
drastic speeds and so warm the fish never surfaced. Algae growth was
sometimes rapid and amazing, kept me busy cleaning the bucket filter
and I never felt it was adequate. I kept a pump going from a mid
section shelf for oxygen, but because they didn't surface, decided
that was just cruel to fish and put them into another pond. They
immediately changed, the next day they were up expecting food when I
walked up, so I think I made a good choice by turning the hot tub into
a plant pond.

It is a bit small for all the plants I have in it, but I'll work that
out as the summer progresses.

Regards,

Hal