Old 08-04-2007, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Azalea bushes

arkienurse wrote:
greetings all...

I just found this group and have a question about Azaleas.

I have several in my yard. They are one of the varieties that grow very
tall, and they are fuschia colored, very beautiful right now for Easter.
When we moved into our house 12 years ago, they had been literally cut back
to the ground and were only stumps that I had no idea what they were until
the next year. I felt pity for them being cut back to the ground and
allowed them to grow wild with no trimming until now. I have several spots
that the branches died back last year, and also, one of the bushes is
probably 10 feet tall. The other main one is about 7 feet tall. One of my
coworkers that is knowlegable in plants tells me that it will not hurt the
plants to cut them back to the ground- is this true? Or should I just try
to trim them back to a manageable height and trim out some of the inner
branches to allow light? I love the way they look right now and am loathe
to do anything that will do them harm.

Thanks for any information

Vicky

Azaleas (and many other woody shrubs) should be pruned to force new
growth. This rejuvenates the shrub. However, azaleas do not need
annual pruning. I prune mine about once every 3-4 years.

Prune shortly after all blooms have faded. Don't cut to the ground.
Remove old branches and keep new ones. Shorten branches to about 1-2
ft. Remove thin, spindly twigs and any dead growth. Open the center;
after pruning, the branches should all point away from the center. When
done, feed with a commercial azalea food.

As new growth starts, "pinch" the tips any shoots that appear extra
vigorous. (To pinch a shoot, use your thumbnail against your forefinger
to cut away the top inch.) This will make the plant more bushy.
Pinching should be done repeatedly throughout the growing season,
including during years between pruning.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean