Old 07-04-2007, 09:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
humBill humBill is offline

Default Filter plants starting to grow - any new ones to recommend?

On Apr 7, 11:58 am, "Reel McKoi" wrote:
From Carol

The first ones to grow here in middle TN, zone 6 are the ones called "penny
creeper" by the woman who have me a handful some years back. They look like
little parasols on a stick. They grow like a vine along the pond's edges,
but in the water. The leaves are about the size of a silver dollar.

This sounds like Pennywort and yes it grows very fast and overwinters
fairly well. If you give it something to root in it will have a
tendency not to spread as quickly and grow more in one area. If you
just throw it in the water, it will be much more gangly and spread
rapidly. Each new stem starts another little root mass. I have
already been giving away some this year and have more than I want now.
Bill